IN.GIF (2167 bytes)  


Only plumbing contractors need to be licensed in Indiana. Public Works and Department of Transportation work must be done by certified or prequalified contractors. Before beginning work, you should check for license requirements at the local level.

maglass.gif (1144 bytes)To find out if a plumber is licensed in Indiana, call (317) 232-5956.

Plumber's Licenses

You need a license to do plumbing work in Indiana. The state issues journeyman and contractor licenses. To get an application for a license, contact:

contact.GIF (447 bytes) Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
302 West Washington Street, Room E034
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2700
(317) 232-2980
Fax: (317) 233-5559

The Agency will review your application and if you're eligible they'll send you information on the exam they require. For the contractor license you need to prove you've completed one of these:

For the journeyman license you need four years in an approved apprenticeship program or four years (6,400 hours) work experience in the trade.

The exam for plumbing contractor has three sections - practical, written, and drawing. The practical section has two parts - the copper pipe project and the soil pipe project. The written section of the exam is multiple choice. The drawing section is on sanitary drainage systems and water distribution systems. If you already have a journeyman's license, you only have to pass the written and drawing section to get your contractor's license.

The exam for journeyman plumber is the same as the contractor exam except it doesn't have a drawing section.

fees.GIF (442 bytes)Plumber's license fees: It costs $50 to apply for the contractor exam and $25 for the journeyman exam. The license itself will cost $50 to $100 for the contractor and $15 to $30 for the journeyman depending on whether you get it in an even or odd numbered year. Either license is good for two years.

Indiana also has a Plumbers Recovery Fund which may require you to pay a nominal fee when you get your license.

If you can prove you have a valid license in a state with qualifications at least equal to Indiana's, you can get an Indiana license without taking an exam. You still need to pay the fees, though.

top.gif (549 bytes)

Department of Transportation (DOT)

To bid on Indiana Department of Transportation projects you have to be prequalified by the Department. To get an application for prequalification, contact:

contact.GIF (447 bytes) Prequalification Engineer
Indiana Department of Transportation
100 N. Senate Avenue, Room N855
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2217
(317) 232-5095

Forms are available online at

Some of the details the Department will ask you about are your organization, personnel, financial condition, equipment, and experience. They may also want to have a personal interview with you. You'll be asked what type of work you want to be qualified for. Here are the five general types of work the Department uses:

Concrete base pavement and resurface
Bituminous base pavement and resurface
Bridges and approaches
Special contracts and subcontract components

Prequalification is good for one year but the Department reserves the right to ask you for another prequalification statement at any time.

top.gif (549 bytes)

Public Works Contractor's Certification

To bid on a public work project in Indiana costing more than $100,000 you must be certified by the state. To get an application, contact:

contact.GIF (447 bytes) Executive Secretary
Certification Board
402 West Washington Street, Room W467
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2746
(317) 232-3005

Forms are available online at

The Board will ask you about your organization, personnel, equipment, and experience. You'll also be asked what categories of work you want to be certified for. The Board has over a hundred different categories -- you can pick four to be certified in. The Board will give major consideration to your experience in a category to certify you.

top.gif (549 bytes)

Out-of-State Corporations

A foreign corporation may not transact business in Indiana until it obtains a certificate of authority from the Secretary of State. There are, however, exceptions to this requirement. The Indiana Code is accessible through the Internet at

The Secretary of State cannot give legal advise regarding whether a foreign corporation should or should not apply for an application for certificate of authority.

In order to obtain a certificate of authority, an application for certificate of authority must be filed with the Secretary of State. The form is available at the Secretary of State's Web page listed below.

contact.GIF (447 bytes) Secretary of State
302 W. Washington Street, Room E018
Indianapolis, IN 46204
(317) 232-6576

Forms are available online at

The filing fee for a certificate of authority is $90, and you must include a Certificate of Existence from your domicile state that indicates the corporation is in good standing.  The Certificate of Existence must be an original, and the Certificate of Existence may not be more than 60 days old at the time the application is filed.

top.gif (549 bytes)

Find an error? Please e-mail the Web Master

2010 Craftsman Book Company